Tuesday 26 February 2008

All's Not Lost


In my rant about stereotyping, I forgot to mention the one big and beautiful example of bucking the tired old gender-based trends. The Girl and I arrived at a 4th birthday party - she in fancy dress - to be greeted by no less than 5 pink ballerinas. 
"You were supposed to come as a ballerina," said the obnoxious birthday girl.
"Well I'm a pirate," said The Girl, proudly, and proceeded to spend the rest of the party chasing the boys around the church hall, waving her homemade telescope and shouting "Arrrrr!"
That's my girl.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

Emma K-F said...

Definitely a girl after my own heart - pirates are much more fun than princesses and ballerinas!

Re inappropriate t-shirt slogans, another of my most despised ones is the infamous "So Many Boys, So Little Time!" that was emblazoned across several pretty pink shirts for toddler girls. Urgh - the fact that someone somewhere thought that was a 'good' idea... Words fail me.

Hope Monday's medical went well - however you wish to interpret 'well' at this time! (Are you in or out of Oz now?)

Emma x

E.G. said...

Monday's medical was . . . thorough! I may blog about it when I am 'over' it :)

Nik Perring said...

Oh dear, that doesn't sound too great. Hope it wasn't too bad.

And go, The Girl. Arrr!

Nik x

Anonymous said...

Your daughter rocks! :)